History

Champdany City- Champdany is a town and a municipality in Hooghly district in the state of West Bengal, India. It is under Bhadreswar police station in Chandannagar subdivision. As of 2001 India census, Champdany had a population of 103,232. Males constitute 56% of the population and females 44%. Champdany has an average literacy rate of 67%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with male literacy of 74% and female literacy of 58%. 12% of the population is under 6 years of age. The Ganga River in East, Farming Area in the West (like Singur arae), Bhadreswar is in the North Side, & Baidyabati in South Side.

The Champdany Municipality was established in the year 1917. The town has a total geographical area of 6.5 Sq kms. Champdany has been famous for its mills and heavy industries.

The area has several well-known Jute Mills of Champdany engaged in jute spinning and in jute weaving. Their size and importance will be apparent from the following table-

Name Place Year of Opening Number (in 1908) of Avg. daily no. of operatives 1908 Turnover in
Looms Spindles
Champdany Champdany,Baidyabati 1873 482 8764 3200 328583 mds.
Dalhousie Bhadreswar 1905 432 9030 2800 12440 tons

Champdany Municipal town is in the Chandannagar Sub-Division of the district Hooghly. It is on the right bank of the river Hooghly near Baidyabati Railway Station situated at a distance of 25 k.m. from Howrah. Formerly the Champdany Municipal town was within the Baidyabati Municipality.

In the year 1962 delimitation of Champdany Municipality took place and the total Municipal area was divided in 17 wards. In the year 1993 another delimitation of municipal area took place and the Municipality was divided in 22 wards.

Admin Privacy Policy Disclaimer About Us Contact Us Sitemap